3.27.2009

BIRTW

So, this week was Darren Shan week. I first found Darren Shan via the "Cirque du Freak" series which was one the happiest accidents ever. I searched the keyword vampire in my library's card catalog and found the series and tore through all the books, loving every minute. Naturally, when I find an author that I like I go insane and read every single book he has ever written, and that was how I found the "Demonata" series. It was so absolutely shocking to read what I was reading in a YA novel that I just couldn't get enough. It's taken me a few years to get them all in, and right now, I'm on the last one available in the US. But this week, I tackled some other ones.

New Books

Bec by Darren Shan
"Bec" is set in 5th century Scotland, and though you don't know it at the time, details the past of several of the main characters of the series. I liked reading this book because it was told in simple words, the way someone from that time might have written them. When you finally put the strands together, it makes you O.O. Loveliness. It also tells the origin of Lord Loss' obsession with chess, which I've always wondered about. Pay attention during Bec, or you'll be scratching your head during later books. Definitely in my top five of the series.


Blood Beast by Darren Shan
At first, I wasn't crazy about "Blood Beast." It deals with my favorite protagonist, Grubbs Grady, but it begins to discuss the lycanthropy curse that affects the Grady family. I am no fan of werewolves. However, the characters in this book are fantastic, mainly Juni Swan. She is very mysterious, falls in love with Grubbs' uncle, Dervish, and tragedy ensues. Another book with a twist, though this one is a big more predictable for those who have read the earlier books in the series. It ends with a cliffhanger that made me scream, then leave work and go and get the next two books in the series at the library. Good stuff.

Demon Apocalypse by Darren Shan
By far, "Demon Apocalypse" is my favorite of the series so far, narrowly beating out the first, "Lord Loss." It's my favorite so far because FINALLY the demons win. It's an amazing turn for the story because, honestly, in these kinds of books, the good guys always win. Not so in this one. Lord Loss invades the world with a horde of lesser demons, and it is death and destruction at every turn. Fantastic stuff. It set up a great scenario for its follower, which I am in the middle of right now. Good twists, wonderful turns, just all around greatness. I haven't been crazy about a few books in the series, but had I know this book was coming, I would have gotten through them much quicker. The whole series is worth it to get to this one.


I didn't read any old books this week, due to a resurgence in writing my own book, but I'm hoping to get through some of the Resident Evil series this coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment